300 days later

Monday, December 03, 2012 / /

It's been 300 days since my last blog post. Where to start.

I have to start by admitting the guilt associated with this blog. The guilt that I haven't written any new goals. The guilt that I don't spend my free time accomplishing all the goals I've set out to do. The guilt associated with sitting down 10+ times to write this entry, but never following through with it. And, most importantly, the guilt of ignoring those who have asked me to come back to this blog. I appreciate your words more than you know, and know all of your messages did not fall on deaf ears-- instead they inspired me to come back. So thank you for your patience.

Now, to the list:

19. Help with Natural Disaster Relief Efforts (2/18/2011) accomplished on 11/17/12
49. See the Northern Lights (3/20/2011) accomplished on 10/29/12
76. Get retweeted by someone with more than 10,000 followers accomplished in mid-June thanks to Bernie Williams-- my favorite baseball player of all time

Rome wasn't built in a day, my friends, so cut me a bit of slack. I'm getting there...

The most important part about this blog, to me, is making me think about what motivates someone to set a goal. Do we set goals because we need something to strive for? Something to look forward to? To set our eyes on something to avoid the mundane reality that may otherwise consumer 90% of our days. Or is it so that we can accomplish our goals and bask in that moment of fulfillment? Or is it so we can brag to others about our accomplishments? While I realize most of my goals are selfish, and that's not something I run from and try to hide (nor do I think it's a flaw-- actually, I'm quite proud of it!), the goals that make me smile are the ones about helping others. 


Just think-- what if we all set goals to help other people. Even one goal a month-- to help someone carry their groceries, lend someone you don't know a dollar, or even just smile at someone who looks like they need it. Such simple tasks truly have a significant impact on the lives of others. You may call me an optimist, a dreamer, but think about it-- have you ever had someone help you with a random act of kindness? If you have, then you know how it can brighten an hour, a day, a week, or, in my case, a lifetime.

Everyone grows up with the dreams of changing our world. What will my legacy be? Who will invent the next Internet, cell phone, computer-- maybe cure cancer, AIDS, or even depression-- why not me?

We end up settling for less than that. It's not a bad thing-- I truly believe that-- but it's reality. A good job, the stability of a daily routine, family that needs your help and support, someone you care about: these are all reasons to put your dreams on the back-burner, but just don't forget about them. If you owe me anything, if you owe society anything, hell, if you owe yourself anything-- then don't give up on those dreams. You don't need to accomplish them in your early 20s. Honestly, you'll probably be in a much better place to tackle those dreams after a few years of post-grad living and learning. But please, just don't forget about them. Whether it's curing cancer, starting a scholarship, becoming a teacher, or even raising your perfect family. Write that goal down, put it somewhere safe and revisit it... when you're ready.

I'm not sure when we'll all be ready. It will probably be different times in our lives for all of us. But all I know, and this I know for certain, is that if we all hold onto our dreams and set our minds to accomplishing our goals, the world will be a better place because of it.

Now, to my goal. This one's easy-- just to follow my own advice. Write down a goal that I think I can accomplish and put it somewhere safe. I know that goal will be in the back of my mind for a while to come, which will make accomplishing it that much sweeter.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope to see you soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment