Long list, and Lots of Time...

Monday, January 31, 2011 / /

So after putting off my work for the past hour I finally decided what I want to do for the next 365 days of my year. Wake up everyday and post 1 thing I want to do before I turn 31.


I have a lot of things I've always dreamt of doing, and I think putting them down (even if it is as 21st century cliche as "in a blog") will help me organize these ideas. My hope is that organizing them will help me stay focused on accomplishing these tasks, as that is the whole point of creating goals in the first place, at least in my mind.

Now why 31? Because I think it is reasonable to think that is a point where I would want to settle down and start a routine. Kids? A steady job? A wife? Mortgage? Dog? I have no idea, but I figure around nine years from now I should be able to tire myself out, and that will be when I'm ready to start my "real life". Also, 30 seems like the age that everyone starts declaring the receding of their youth, and I figured I should give myself till 31, one more whole year to do what I always envisioned myself doing; following my dreams, and not stopping until I accomplished them.

So for me this is a new-years resolution of sorts, to wake up everyday and take 2 minutes to post something I want to do before I'm 31 years old. While some goals may seem imprudent, or otherwise insignificant, keep in mind I plan to come up with a list of 365 things to do, so some may be easier to accomplish than others; but trust me, they all have a well thought out purpose.

Why start today? To be honest, I don't have a precise reason. I wanted to do something for an entire year starting January 1st, like the rest of the world, but nothing came to mind. But today this dawned on me, and the idea intrigued me, so here I am. But I can absolutely come up with a reason for starting today, such as:
Did you know today is the Independence Day for the small island nation of Nauru? Well, now you do. And until the Independence Day of Nauru next year (aka January 31st), I plan to compile a list of 1 goal per day, concluding with a list of 365 "to-do"s before I'm 31. (If you don't know where Nauru is, check it out: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=Nauru&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Nauru&gl=us&ei=LglHTZrpMo66sQOx2MG_Cg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ8gEwAA)

If you have any questions about a goal, please feel free to comment (even anonymously), because if you know me then you know I love my thoughts being challenged, as I believe it brings about deeper thought and ideally deeper understanding. Also, I encourage you to create your own list if this intrigues you, and my only request is that if you do embark on such an arduous endeavor you send me the link so I too can follow along.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you stay with me for the next year. Please "follow" to keep updated on a daily basis.

-Philip

2 comments:

Anonymous on March 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I am really interested in starting a blog of my own but I'm not sure where to start. What website do you feel works best and what are your thoughts on putting ads on the blog for money?

Comment by Philip Canton on March 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Hey! Thanks for asking me these questions! I'm truly humbled and flattered!

Where to start is absolutely the hardest part about starting a blog, in my opinion. While it can seem intimidating at first, once you start writing you'll realize how fun it is, and how surprisingly simple the process really is. I chose to write my blog through blogger.com, which is run by Google; but there are also many other options to choose from. I would check out blogger first as I highly recommend it, mostly because of it's simplicity. I had never made a serious attempt at creating a blog before this site and was quickly able to learn how to add advanced items such as a "search bar" and page tabs in practically no time! I also suggest wordpress.com, if you were planning a more serious blog, as this site has a very professional look. Another good option is tumblr.com, which is a very casual look designed for short entries. On tumblr you can share links, music, videos, practically anything and allows you to "re-blog" other posts you find interesting; truly a unique site.

As for ads, I chose not to place them on this blog. While I did use ads for a few weeks when I first started this site I quickly determined I didn't think they were worth the trouble. I made about 50 cents in 2 weeks, and hated the idea of trying to make money off my readers, especially since my audience didn't seem very interested in the advertising. What I would suggest is to check out blogger.com's partnership with Amazon, where if you promote a product on your blog and a reader buys that product you get a portion of the sales. While it doesn't seem very relevant to my blog, it may interest you in yours.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the questions and I am certainly happy to help if you have anymore! Hope you enjoy my site, and I would love for you to send me a link to your blog if you're willing. cantonpnc@gmail.com is my email. Best of luck on your blog!

Post a Comment